Yu Xie's Entry on "Association Model" in Encyclopedia of Social Science Research Methods, edited by Michael Lewis-Beck, Alan Bryman and Tim Futing Liao. Thousand Oaks, Ca: Sage (2003).
- GLIM macro for RC model, R-by-C (Mark Becker)
- GLIM macro for RC model, square table (Mark Becker)
- GLIM macro for RC model, multi-way tables (Herb Smith)
- GLIM files used in Xie 1992 ASR paper.
- GLIM files used in Xie and Efron 1992 JASA paper.
- GLIM files for some examples in Powers and Xie book on statistical methods for categorical data analysis.
- Type "ssc install rc2 " in STATA. This is a STATA program written by John Hendrickx for estimating Goodman's RC model from cross-classified data.
- Type "webseek mclest" in STATA. "mclest" is a STATA program written by John Hendrickx for estimating a class of conditional logit models with certain constraints. It can estimate Goodman's RC model through two steps. (See below for an example.)
- Type "webseek unidiff" in STATA. "unidiff" is a STATA program written by Maurizio Pisati for estimating a class of multiplicative layer-effect models introduced by Xie (1992, ASR).
- STATA files for some examples in Powers and Xie book on statistical methods for categorical data analysis.
Different forms of the association model can be estimated as a Generalized Nonlinear Model (GNM) in R. Go to http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/staff/academic-research/firth/software/gnm.
An example using GNM in R for replicating Xie (1992, ASR) is available here: input file, and output file (courtey of Huashan Chen).
- LEM by Jeroen Vermunt: "a program that can estimate different forms of the log-multiplicative model while retaining flexibility."
- Files used for 2000 ASR comment (with Jim Raymo) on Smits, Ultee, and Lammers.
- LEM files for some examples in Powers and Xie book on statistical methods for categorical data analysis.
ASSOC is a specialized, user-written program for estimating many of the association models.
Comparison of Different Programs with an Example
The example was taken from Clogg (1982, AJS): GSS data for the association between attitudes toward abortion and attitudes toward premarital sex. See discussion of the example by Powers and Xie (2000).
GLIM: input file, output file;
STATA (rc2): input file, output file;
STATA (mclest): input file1, output file 1; input file 2, output file 2.
LEM: input file; output file;
Assoc: input file, data file, output file;
R: input file, output file;